Saturday, March 28, 2009

A Real Quilt!

I finally finished my first "real" quilt in a very long time. Actually, it's only a lapsize so perhaps it doesn't even qualify! I used Amanda Jean's Stacked Coin tutorial-found here.

My local quilt shop only had 2 different charm packs to choose from and neither of them really worked for what I wanted - I wanted all black and white- so I cut my own rectangles. I did include some grey in there too. I wanted a lap size quilt so I used 6 strips and made them 25 long. I wish I had made it a bit longer, but I think it turned out very nice.



Here's the back. I stole Amanda Jean's idea of putting the strip on the back. I didn't do a stacked coin strip, but I used a strip of the sashing. I like it, she's correct that it does make the back much nicer.

This is the first time I've ever truly machine quilted a quilt (other than stitch in the ditch). It's supposed to be stippling, but I told my sis (the recipient) that it's more like "Tracey's Wanderings".

I was shocked how physically tiring it can be. You have to have some upper body strength! I can't imagine what it will take to do a full size quilt.

I'm anxious to get started on the next one!


No comments: